Open innovation and collaborative entrepreneurship communities, tools and events.
PROMPT CP2: Open innovation and collaborative entrepreneurship networks stand to deliver significant impact in mounting sufficiently rapid and effective responses for mitigating and adapting to Climate Change. Their peer-to-peer, permissionless, self-organizing, transparent and accessible nature furnish the capacity for both scaling impact globally, while adapting effectively to local participation and priorities.
This prompt invites collaborators to reflect on the nature and variety of these kinds of networks in developing ways that they might proliferate and perform more fully in addressing climate change and sustainable development priorities.
This prompt picks a Climate Action Certification as a use case - which is to say that several Climate Action related projects are presently applying Open Value Network principles and practices in their work. They endeavor to apply the OVN model to enhance their capacity for weaving together the complex ecosystem of interdependent and complementary interests and initiatives, while also making difficult trade-offs and producing opportunities and value for all stakeholders, big and small.
Sensorica often makes allusion to the phenomenon called, “Stigmergy” – which refers to the mechanism of coordination in social insects. Ants deposit chemicals that signal the favoured pathways for navigating the threats and opportunities within their habitat. Other ants “read” these signals and reinforce and intensify the signals by depositing their own chemical “vote” as they follow in the footsteps of others. In this way the colony collaborates in a distributed and decentralized manner through which emerges a network of “desire lines” – that represent an emergent map of the territory on which depends their collective survival and thriving.
But people aren’t much like ants, at all; organizing differently, using different kinds of signals, facing different kinds of threats and opportunities and much more. So, what would “Stigmergy for Humans” really look like? And, are there other kinds of distributed and decentralized coordinating mechanisms also capable of rapid and effective organization of large-scale collaborative works and events? How can these mechanisms be adapted, deployed, communicated, learned, evaluated and improved? What technologies look promising for implementing these mechanisms? What does it mean for such an environment to be accessible? How do we measure and build value and what does it mean to be productive in such an environment? What kind of norms, attitudes, policies and cultures make these networks successful? How can we discover, reach out to and communicate effectively with our natural allies and partners to accelerate the proliferation of Open Value Networks?
There are no limits on the ways that you can contribute to this collaborative challenge. We will be happy to see:
- Reflections and preliminary research into collaborative behaviour - motivations, principles, practices, incentives, disincentives, limitations, capacities, strengths, weaknesses, etc.
- Conceptual designs for promising mechanisms of emergent coordination - especially in the context of a decentralized, globally distributed network.
- Process, protocol, platform or product designs that improve the productivity, accessibility, user experience, innovation capacity, or other feature or benefit of the network.
- Data Structures logical and physical and working demonstration prototypes.
- Solutions - in terms of OVN policy, processes, tool or platform designs and the like - to the issues being faced by our Sensorica OVN, as we endeavour to develop and proliferate the model or, to the use-case (or, case-study) Climate Action related projects being undertaken by Sensorica Affiliates.
- Ways to connect these Climate Actions into the Open Climate Project and the Open Climate Platform.
The materials itemized above represent only a starting point for your investigations to serve as an entrypoint for further research and your engagement with meaningful challenges, rewarding projects and productive collaborations. Please review these materials and other relevant information that you discover, and then - based on your interests and what you hope to accomplish during the Collabathon (and beyond) - help improve the Open Value Network models, methods and tools and maximize their impact on important Climate Change priorities and actions.
Sensorica affiliates are available to address questions, connect you with further information and real-world experience and examples - and generally support your efforts and the exploration, discovery, understanding and actions toward valuable collaborations and creations among participating Collabathoners.
- Help us build a better Open Value Network!
- Discover the unique strengths of Open Value Networks in contributing to the Open Climate Project, Platforms and Actions.
We have created a Google Document where anyone participating in this event/process can take notes about their experience. Feel free to ask edit or suggestion rights to the document. We also created a Google Spreadsheet to collect and analyze participation data. Other sources of data and information were created by other participants. * Information about teams